Thursday, January 24, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

If you know me at all, you know how much I hate making decisions. And, when asked how I made a decision, I cannot tell. There is never a decisive point in which I know I've made a decision. Of the big decisions in my life (college, study abroad, living situations, med school, grad school), I cannot tell you how I made that decision. One day, I'm unsure and the next day I'm not. One moment I can't stop debating and the next I have a decision. And, apparently, all my indecision stresses people out.

Luckily (or fatefully?) all of my decisions turned out to be the right ones for me. I thrived at William and Mary, fell in love with India, made some of my best friends, and grew in New Orleans. But yet, I still constantly question myself when it comes to making a big decision.

I am, at heart, a scientist. I like to have just one answer be the correct one. I like to use deductive reasoning to come to the one and only answer. Yet, it is never like that. Why was William and Mary better than Franklin and Marshall? Why India instead of Poland? Why New Orleans instead of Washington, DC? Really - I have no idea. In retrospect, they were all good decisions that helped me grow and change and learn and make me the person I am today.

So now, my decision for what to do this summer: Sierra Leone or the unknown. What to do?

No comments: