Thursday, June 12, 2008

RE: Sierra Leone

Hi! Sorry for the slow updates! The internet is a bit of a walk from where we are staying so I can only access it during longer breaks from class or on the weekends. Luckily, Emily has a computer so I'm going to write emails on her computer then send them when I can get to the internet. Thus far, the trip has been a lot of fun, although challenging. I really feel like I'm learning a lot, especially from the Sierra Leonean students who are taking the class with us.

The food is not great, but it is growing on me (and hopefully not in me! hehehe, sorry that's gross!). It's mostly carbohydrates like cassava (like potato), bread, pasta, kuzkuz. We do get eggs or cheese in the morning and I'm eating chicken during lunch, so I get some protein there. Plus, the fruit is very good. Everyone has been taking turns buying pineapples and sharing them for dinner. Very good!

Holly missed the flight (apparently it took her almost 5 1/2 hours to get from her house in northeastern PA to the GW bridge), but she arrived here yesterday (Wednesday).

The weather is super hot and humid, but I think I'm slowly getting used to it. And it thunderstorms almost every night which cools things down considerably. THere are actually some people here who think it is cold outside and wear very cold-weather clothes (heavy jackets and/or wool hats).

K, I have to run now, but please feel free to pass on this message to anyone else who may be interested. I'm planning on sending a full update on Saturday.

HOpe everything is going well! Please send me updates of what's going on there too!

Love,
Katie

No comments: