Sunday, October 7, 2007

Trying out a blog

In an attempt to keep my experiences organized and remember the things I do in New Orleans, I'm going to try to keep a blog of my time in New Orleans. Who knows how long this will last... 2 months, 18 months, 4 years (if I decide to attend medical school here!)...

This weekend was relaxing - I've tried to do something "New Orleans" every weekend I've been here. But this weekend was relaxing, eating, organizing and hanging out with some new friends. On Friday, I went to babysit for Malachi the Fourth, Boo boo, as he calls himself. He's adorable! He wanted to show me all his toys, especially his vacuum cleaner! So, I babysat for a bit then hung out watching TV and relaxing (after Mal went to bed). I spent the night, returning to my house around 7am (urgh) and promptly went back to bed. When I woke up the second time, Holly and I decided to go to Target and the La-Z-Boy store! They're both in Metarie, so we took I-10, the most annoying highway - the road is under construction and I feel like it will continue to be under construction FOREVER. But, we got to Metarie in one piece and found the much talked about, but never seen IHOP. It's amazing how such little things can make your day. After shopping unsuccessfully for hooks to hang my curtains and forgetting the items I needed to return (the primary reason for the trip), it was wonderful to go to IHOP and eat some pancakes :)

Tonight, I went over to the Patten brothers' house. They live off of Claiborne - so very far uptown. One day I will describe the basic geography of New Orleans and how people tell you directions. However, for now, they live very uptown, whereas I live at the bottom of uptown in the Lower Garden District. So, I took the St. Charles bus to their house and had a wonderful dinner! MMM, and I found out I like shrimp and mushrooms (but only with lots of garlic and onion). Came back home and worked and am now working on this.

Tomorrow promises to be a busy day - group project meeting at 12:30 till it's done and church at 6 then work all night. Finals and such are coming up and I have a lot of work to do!

Goodnight!

No comments: